An expat memoir that explores transformation
and the effects of globalization on relationships.
Change, however tumultuous, is always the most
profound catalyst for personal development.
In 2001, when a couple leaves South Africa for a stay abroad, they land at JFK International Airport on September 11th, unprepared for the sight of smoke billowing from the Manhattan skyline or the horror of a second plane exploding into the North Tower.
Over the next ten years, as their host country confronts fundamental change of its own, their marriage buckles under the strain of their disparate experiences. With the international economic crisis making it all but impossible for them to return to their country, they relocate from California to the North, the South, and the Midwest searching for a place they can call home.
Against the backdrop of uncertainties in post-apartheid South Africa, Belinda Nicoll unfolds a contemporary and thought-provoking account of post-9/11 America’s tantalizing hopes and unexpected disappointments. Out of Sync is an insightful tale about marital endurance that promises to enthrall anyone, expatriate or not, who has ever felt at odds with themselves or the world.
We’re living in a global world where people are migrating every which way to benefit from some opportunity. Still, change comes with uncertainty, and I've learned that adventure and excitement can quickly devolve into chaos and despair. Due to a series of desirable and dreadful events in a short span of time, I've had to be resilient to keep my life intact. The thing is, evolution is about moving forward, and Out of Sync demonstrates that change, however tumultuous, is always the most profound catalyst for personal development.
- Story Circle Book Reviews, by Sharon Lippincott
- A sneak peek, by Indies Unlimited
- In the spotlight, by Every Free Chance Books
- Writing About Traumatic Events, by Examiner (Sheryl Stahle)
- Friendly Friday Interview, by WordsMatter (Eric Sheridan Wyatt)
- An interview, by Choices, by Madeline Sharples (author of Leaving the Hall Light On)
- A review, by Readful Things Blog (Ionia Martin)
- A video, by Jason Matthews on How to Market and Sell Ebooks
- An interview, by Sylvia Browder's blog for women entrepreneurs
- History in Black and White, by Jonnie Martin (author of Wrangle)
- An excerpt - The Serpent Goddess - published by Eclectic Flash literary journal (09/2011 - pg. 15)
- *****It is fitting that I review this book on the 14th anniversary of 9/11, by Lisa Craythorn
- *****Biography Book Reviews, May 20, 2014
- *****Mourning the American Dream, October 30, 2013 by Erin Brown
- *****Interesting Chronicle, October 8, 2013 by Jan O’Daniel
- *****A wonderful, interesting and complex story, September 27, 2013 by Jason Ferguson
- ****An intriguing, multi-faceted book, August 5, 2013 by Cate Russell-Cole “Virtualdesk”
- *****Out of Sync, July 21, 2013 by Pat McKinzie
- *****A story of hope in the midst of change, June 15, 2013 by Leslie Ahmadi
- ****Riding the roller coaster to win, May 10, 2013 by Ian Mathie
- ****Thoughtful and well written, May 5, 2013 by Ionia Martin, also featured on her blog: Readfulthings
- ****An insightful memoir of spiritual and political significance, April 18, 2013 by Laura Dennis
- *****A memoir plus, April 16, 2013 by Madeline
- ****When Worlds Collide, April 5, 2013 by Janet Givens
- Featured on WriteThatMemoirRightNow – February 13, 2013 by Kim Brittingham
- ***** February 8, 2013 by Lilianne
- Featured on Book Club Reading List – January 26, 2013
- *****I Actually Made The Time To Read This Book! December 11, 2012 by K.Wade
- ****Virgowriter’s review on Goodreads – December, 11, 2012
- ****Engaging Read, November 25, 2012 by Brad Windhauser
- ****A Universal Story, November 24, 2012 by Mary Gottschalk
- *****A wonderful reflection on life, November 4, 2012 by Rick Daley
- *****An interesting, funny, and thought-provoking read! October 24, 2012 by Kathryn W Smith (Brooklyn, NY
- *****An entertaining / inspirational memoir of adventure / transformation, October 18, 2012 by Kathleen Pooler
- *****Moving Upheaval, October 17, 2012 by Sherrey Meyer (Portland, OR)
- ****A Fun and Interesting Narrative, October 12, 2012 by Paul Salvette (Bangkok, Thailand)
- *****Finding Home, September 10, 2012 by S. Lippincott - Read the full review, which was originally published at StoryCircleBookReviews and featured amongst “Editors’ Picks” of the month (September 2012).
- *****Certainly can relate, August 28, 2012 by Connie Skinner
- ****August 24, 2012 by JenM04
- *****An honest account of life as an expat in the U.S., August 18, 2012 by Sonia Marsh (Orange County, CA)
- ****Don’t Miss It!, August 14, 2012 by Jan
- **** Fascinating Story!, August 10, 2012 by Frank Wege
- ***** Compelling Narrative!, August 8, 2012 by Alice
- **** Different, Interesting Perspective of Post-9/11, July, 14 2012 by Eric S. Wyatt (Bradenton, Florida)